Sharp MD-S50H / MD-S50X
- 1x Headphones
- 1x Remote Control
- 1x Rechargeable lithium-ion Battery (AD-S50BTX)
- 1x AC adaptor (according to the country)
- 1x Carrying Bag
Storing the unit
Avoid using or the unit in the following places.
- Places exposed to direct sunlight for many hours (especially in cars)
or near heaters.
- Place exposed to water.
- Place exposed to excessive dust.
- Place where temperatures are excessively high or low.
- Use the unit within a temperature range of 5°C-35°C (41°F-95°F)
- Places (bathrooms) where the humidity is extremely high.
- Places with strong magnetic fields such as near TVs and Loudspeakers
- Places exposed to vibration.
- Anywhere sand can easily enter the unit.
- If the unit is used near radio tuners or TVs, noise and/or picture interference may result. If you experience these problems, move the unit away from such devices.
- Connect the AC adaptor lead to the DC IN 5V socket on the main unit.
- Connect the AC adaptor to an AC socket.
- When there is thunder or lightning in your vicinity, unplug the AC adaptor from the AC socket.
- When the unit is not in use for extended periods, remove the AC adaptor from the AC socket.
- The AC adaptor may become slightly warm. This is normal.
- Do not use an AC adaptor other than the one specified.
- Do not bend, twist or tie the power lead or put heavy objects on the top of it.
- The main unit may become slightly warm whilst in use. this is normal.
Rechargeable battery power
Be sure to fully charge the rechargeable battery when using it for the first time or after a long period of storage.
- Open the battery compartment cover.
- Insert the rechargeable battery, and replace the battery compartment cover.
*Insert the side with the arrow first.
- Plug the AC adaptor into an AC socket, and than insert the plug on the AC adaptor lead into the DC IN 5V socket.
- Press the start button, and then press the stop button to turn off power.
- After about 7 seconds the POWER indicator will flash, and the battery will begin to charge.
- It is not necessary to perform step 4 above if the battery being recharged is low on capacity. Once the AC adaptor is connected, the battery will begin charging within several seconds to 2 minutes.
- Battery charging will be complete in 2.5 hours. When battery charging begins, the POWER indicator will flash. When charging is complete, it will go out.
- After charging has been completed, the AC adaptor may be left connected.
- The battery will not be charged while the main unit is operating.
- If the AC adaptor is removed from the main unit or from the AC socket whilst charging, the POWER indicator will flash for about minute.
Rechargeable battery operating time
After the battery has been fully charged, it can be used continuously
for approximately 4 hours. Whilst the unit is being operated, the
battery indicator will appear on the remote control. As the battery
charge is reduced with use the bars in the battery indicator will go
out one by one.
- When the battery is almost completely exhausted, the battery indicator itself will flash.
- When the battery completely is exhausted, ``Lo BATT'' will appear in the display.
The power will be disconnected automatically. Recharge the battery.
Service life of the rechargeable battery
- A rechargeable lithium-ion battery is the only kind that can be
used. Even if the battery supplied with the unit is not used, you
should charge it at least once every three months because of the
special quality of this battery.
- Do not use any battery other than that specified. Use of other batteries may cause malfunction.
- The rechargeable battery can be charged approximately 300 times
- When the operating time is reduced to half the normal amount of
time even after a full charge is performed, replace the battery with a
- When charging or when using the rechargeable battery, use it
within an ambient temperature range of 5°C to 36°C.
Loading a MiniDisc
- Move the Disc Open knob in the direction of the arrow.
*The disc holder will open slightly.
- Open the disc holder gently until it stops.
- If the disc holder is not fully opened, the MiniDisc may not load properly.
- Load the MiniDisc in the direction of the arrow indicated on the MiniDisc with the label side facing up. (Pushing on the centre part of the MiniDisc.)
- Close the disc holder
- Press the centre of the disc holder to secure it.
- The power will turn on automatically . after the disc information has been read, the unit will stop. If no action is taken after about 30 sec. the power will turn off.
To stop playback:
- Connect the headphones firmly to the headphones socket on the remote control unit.
- Connect the remote control unit firmly to the headphones socket on the main unit
- Press the PLAY button
- The Power indicator will light up and `HELLO!' will appear in the
- The PLAY indicator and the track number will be displayed, and
playback will begin, starting from the first track.
*When a MiniDisc which contains character information is played back, the name of the track is being played back will also be displayed.
- The name of the track being played back is displayed in scroll
fashion (the characters will move towards the left.
*After the last track has finished playback, the disc will automatically stop.
To interrupt playback
- Press the STOP button.
- The number of tracks, the name of the disc, and than the total playing
time will be displayed
To turn off the power:
- Press the PLAY button on the remote control during playback
*To resume playback, press the PLAY button again.
- Press the STOP button whilst in the stop mode
*After `BYE!' has appeared for approximately 1 sec., the entire display will go blank
- When playback resumes after being halted, or the power has been
turned off it will start at the point on the disc where playback has
halted. However, if the MiniDisc is removed and reinsert before
playback resumes, playback will start from the first track. If the
unit is not operated for at least 2 minutes, the power will turn off
- Since the main unit and the AC adaptor heat up during use you
should avoid allowing the unit to be in direct contact with your skin
for any length of time.
Press the VOLUME/+ button to increase the volume and the VOLUME/- button
to decrease the volume
- The volume level can be adjusted from 0 to 20.
- Whenever the volume is adjusted, the new setting will be stored even after the power is turned off.
Each time the BASS button is pressed the tone will switch as follows:
- BASS 1 : Bass is emphasised a little
- BASS 2 : Bass is emphasised more
- BASS 3 : Bass is emphasised still more
- BASS 4 : Bass emphasis is cancelled.
- If the volume is too high whilst the bass is turned high, the sound may distorted, depending on the music on the track. If this happens, lower either the bass level or the volume level.
- If the volume is increased to `15´ or higher, the bass level adjusts automatically
- Any settings which have been changed will be stored even after the
power is turned off.
APSS (Auto Program Search System)
APSS automatically locates the beginning of any track.
To move to the beginning of the next track:
Press the FAST FORWARD button during playback.
To re-start the track being played:
Press the FAST REVERSE button during playback.
* The PLAY indicator will flash, and the track number chosen will be displayed
To skip a number of tracks press the FAST FORWARD or the FAST REVERSE button repeatedly until the desired track is shown.
Cue and review
- Load a MD and begin playback.
- Press and hold the FAST FORWARD button down for audible fast forward, and press the FAST REVERSE button down for audible fast reverse.
- Playback will resume when the FAST FORWARD or FAST REVERSE button is released
To search very quickly:
- When the end of the last track is reached during fast forward, the unit will enter the playback mode. When the unit is in all track repeat mode, the search will wrap around from the last track to the first, or vice versa.
- Depending on the contents recorded on a MD some sounds will be skipped
whilst cueing and reviewing
- During repeat play, fast forward from the last track to the first track or fast reverse from the first track to the last track is possible
When fast forward or fast reverse is used whilst in the pause mode,
the search will be performed more quickly than audible fast forward or
- In this mode, no sound is heard. Therefore, you should refer to the time display.
- When you lift your finger, the unit will reenter to pause mode.
During playback or whilst in the stop mode, press the PLAY MODE button
repeatedly to select the playback mode.
To cancel repeat play:
Press the PLAY MODE button to turn off.
- RANDOM : Random play
- Repeat symbol : Repeat play of all of the tracks
- No display : Normal playback
*If the playback mode is selected whilst stopped, press the PLAY button to resume playback.
*`repeat symbol' will be displayed
Same as # Repeat play.
- After the track being played to has finished playing back, all of the tracks will be played back once, in random order, and then the unit will automatically stop the disc.
- During random play, cue and review of the previous or next tracks are not possible
- If the FAST REVERSE button is pressed, the previous track will not be played back
To avoid pressing buttons accidentally, use the hold function.
- Place the HOLD switch in the safety position.
- When the unit is in safety mode, pressing the buttons will have no affect. To operate the unit, place the HOLD switch in off position.
*To resume operation, return the HOLD to its original position.
Button operation confirmation
Every time a button is pressed, a `beep' will be heard in the
To eliminate the `beep' sound proceed as follows:
Hold down the BASS button until `beep' is displayed (at least 2
To restore the button operation confirmation feature:
Hold down the BASS button until `BEEP 0' is displayed (at least 2
- A `beep, beep' will be heard, after which the confirming `beeps´ will be eliminated.
- A `beep' will sound, and button operations will be confirmed with a `beep'
- The confirmation sound setting is kept stored in memory, even after the power has been turned off.
Checking Minidisc names and track names
To check disk names
Whilst in the stop mode, press the DISPLAY button
- When the DISPLAY button is pressed quickly and repeatedly, the
total number of tracks and the total playing time will be shown
- When the DISPLAY button is pressed whilst the total number of
tracks is being displayed, the total playing time will be shown.
To check the name of the track being played back
Press the DISPLAY button during playback.
To check individual track names one by one:
Press the FAST FORWARD or the FAST REVERSE button in the stop mode.
Each time the button is pressed the previous or next track will be
- Each time this button is pressed, the display will change as shown.
To listen to a disc using an external amplifier
By using a RCA lead with a 3.5 mm (1/8") diameter plug, you can listen
to a disc using a amplifier and speakers of another stereo system.
- The volume or tone adjustment on the MD-S50 is output to the external equipment connected.
- Before connecting any other equipment turn off the power to all units.
- Connect the plugs securely. Improper connection may cause noise or malfunction.
- Before listening to a disc, reduce the volume on external equipment.
Too high sound output can damage speakers.
Shock Resistant Memory
During playback, up to 10 sec. of information is stored in the
semiconductor memory. Therefore, even when the pickup cannot read
information for a second or two due to an external shock, the sound
continues without interruption because the information stored in
memory is output.
To ensure that approximately 10 sec of information is always stored
during battery operation hold the PLAY MODE button (for at least 2
sec.) whilst in the stop mode to make `PS off' appear.
- When the unit is used with the AC adaptor, approximately 10
seconds of sound information will be always stored. When used with any
kind of battery, between 5 and 10 sec. of sound information will be
To return to the original storage condition , hold down the PLAY MODE
button (for at least 2 sec.) to make `auto PS' appear.
- Please note that the continuous playing time from batteries will be reduced by about 20% in this mode.
In the following cases, condensation may form inside the unit.
When the unit condensation inside the disc signals cannot be read, and
product may not function properly.
- Shortly after room heating has been turned on.
- When the unit is placed in a room where there is excessive steam or moisture.
- When the unit is moved suddenly from a cool place to a warm place.
- If this happens, remove the disc and leave the disc holder open.
The condensation should evaporate in approximately 1 hour or less. The
unit will then function properly.
If trouble occurs
If the unit should emit strange sounds, smells or smoke, or if an
object is dropped into the unit, remove the AC adaptor from the AC
socket and contact an authorised Sharp centre.
When this product is subjected to strong external interference
(mechanical shock, excessive static electricity, abnormal supply
voltage due to lightning, etc.) or if it is operated incorrectly it
may malfunction. If such trouble occurs proceed as follows:
Many potential `problems' can be resolved by the owner without calling a
service technician. If something seems to be wrong with the product,
check the following points before calling your authorised Sharp dealer
or service centre.
- Unplug the AC adaptor from the Ac socket.
- Remove the rechargeable battery.
- Leave the unit completely unpowered for approximately 30 sec.
- Insert the rechargeable battery.
- Reconnect the AC adaptor to the AC socket and try operation again.
|The unit does not turn on.|
- The AC adaptor is disconnected.
- The rechargeable battery is
- The unit is in safety mode.
- The disc holder is not closed
|The rechargeable battery does
- It takes a maximum of 2 minutes whilst the unit checks the condition
of the rechargeable battery and
actually starts recharging.
- After charging a rechargeable
battery which has not been used very often, insert it into the unit,
playing a disc (for several seconds), and then turn off the power to
the main unit.
|The unit will not function
even when operation buttons
- The unit is in the safety mode.
- The remote control unit plug or
headphone plug is not inserted firmly.
- The rechargeable battery is exhausted.
- The disc holder isn't closed securely.
|No sounds can be heard from
- The volume is set to low.
- The remote unit or headphones are not plugged.
|Playback is interrupted
- The rechargeable battery is
- The unit is receiving excessive
When an error message is displayed, proceed as follows:
|Display|| Meaning || Remedy|
|No DISC || No disc is loaded. || Load a disc.|
|E-DISC || The disc is damaged or
the music information
is not written properly
on the disc|
|Blank || Nothing is recorded. || Replace the disc with a recorded one.|
| || Music is not being recorded. ||
Replace the disc with a recorded one.|
|?DISC || The data contains an
error. || Replace the disc.|
| E-TOC || The disc is badly
damaged. || Replace the disc.|
|E-UTOC || The disc is badly
damaged. || Replace the disc.|
|OPEN || The disc holder has
been opened during
|| Close the disc holder. |
|E-TEMP || The temperature is too
high. || Turn off the
power and wait for a while.|
|Lo BATT || The rechargeable
battery has run down. || Charge the
|HOLD || The HOLD switch is in
safely position. || Return the HOLD switch to
its original position.|
|POWER? || Incorrect power source
is being used. || Use a specified power source.|
|E-SYS || The unit has judged
itself to be out of
order. || For repairs, contact the
distributor from whom the unit was purchased.|
- DC 3.6V (rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- DC 5V (AC adaptor)
- AC 110 to 240V, 50/60Hz
|Power consumption: || 0,15A (AC adaptor)
|Output power: || 20mW (10mW+10mW)
|Rechargeable battery performance:|
|Approx. 4 hours (continuous play)|
|Type || Specified output || Max. output
level || Load Impedance|
| Headphones || - || 10mW+10mW || 16
| Line || 425mV(-12db) || - || 50 k
|Dimensions:|| Width: 74mm (2-15/16")|
Height: 106mm (4-3/16")
Depth: 17.9mm (23/32")
|Weight: || 150g (0.33lbs) with rechargeable battery|
|Output socket: ||Headphones|
|Type: || Portable MiniDisc Player|
|Signal readout: || Non-contact, semi-conductor laser pick-up|
|Audio channels: || 2|
|Frequency response: || 20-20,000Hz +3dB|
|Rotation speed: || Approximately 400 to 900rpm|
|Error correction: || ACIRC|
|Coding: || ATRAC|
|D/A converter: || 1-bit|
|Sampling frequency: || 44,1kHz|
|Modulation system: || EFM |
|Wow and flutter: || Unmeasurable|
|Type: || Inner-ear dynamic|
|Impedance: || 16ohms|