Cancelling TOC Updates on a Sony MD Deck
Found by Dirk ([email protected])
Users sometimes make incorrect edits to an MD by accident. Modern Sony
decks allow 1 level of `UNDO', but sometimes this is not enough. It
turns out that on modern Sony MD decks (MDS-302 /303 /330 /501 /503 /JE500 /JE640 /JE630 /JE640
/JE510 /JE520 /JE530 /JE320 /JA20ES /JA3ES /S35 /S37 /S38 /S40 /JB920 /JB930 / DHC-EX770MD ...) [write me if it works on your deck
and it's not listed here] there is an easy way to eject an MD without
writing the TOC, thereby restoring the TOC to the state it was in when
the disc was inserted.
To Remove an MD without writing the TOC:
By the way, your MD unit is now in retry cause display mode.
- Stop the disc you want to get out of your unit.
- Press stop for around 10 to 15 seconds.
- When the red `TOC' indicator on the display
goes out, release the stop button.
- Now press the eject button,
and the disc will be ejected without any changes to the TOC.
Exiting Retry Cause Display Mode
To exit, press the power button of your recorder.
Procedures for MDS-501
Joe Redifer ([email protected]) adds that on the MDS-501 home deck
you can undo editing mistakes this way:
- Make sure the disc is stopped.
- Pull the AC plug out of the wall.
- Leave it out for at least 5 seconds.
- Plug it back in and turn on the unit.
- The disc can now be ejected without overwriting the TOC.