|Archos Jukebox Recorder 20||Portable Hard Disk MP3 Player/Recorder|
|In: LINE, digital (coax). Out: headphones, digital (coax). Data: USB. DC IN: 9V||115 x 83 x 34mm, 350g|
- Unit plays and records MP3 audio files
- MP3 playback from 30-320kbps VBR
- MP3 recording selectable from 30-160Kbps.
- Records from LINE, digital input, or built-in microphone.
- Internal 20GB hard drive (over 300 hours of 128kbps audio).
- USB 2.0 interface, audio can be transferred at up to 12MB/sec (users report actual performance of 7-9MB/sec).
- Backlit LCD panel (up to 8 lines of characters).
- Unit functions as a mountable hard-disk drive -- MP3 files can be freely dragged and dropped
between the desktop and the device.
- Firmware updates downloadable from manufacturer's site.
- Manual recording level control (LINE/MIC inputs).
The device's user interface for making recordings leaves
quite a bit to be desired. Although Archos continues to provide firmware
updates, compared to Minidisc equipment, the recording procedure for
this device is absolutely archaic, to wit: To record, one
must first "name" the file that will hold the recording. This is done
with a simple titling interface not unlike what one finds on MD
equipment (using arrow keys to select characters an move the
cursor). Once the file is named, recording can commence at the push of a button.
When a second recording is to be made, a new file name must be created, if this
is not done each subsequent recording writes over the file created in the prior recording.
This makes Sony's clunky END SEARCH procedure look brilliant and modern.
A much simpler interface would have been one that placed each recording
sequentially in a directory on the device (or allowed the user to assign
a directory to hold recordings), with each recording automatically
given names like "1", "2", "3", etc.
- The user manual leaves something to be desired as well.
- USB 2.0 (A-A) cable
- AC-DC adapter
- 2 sets of NiMH Batteries (one set already installed)
- Stereo headphones
- Carrying pouch
- MusicMatchTM Jukebox software
- Manual in 5 languages
- Archos page
- Rockbox (Archos Hacking) site.
- User comments on RockBox:
The RockBox software is an incredible upgrade over the [hopeless] stock OS from Archos.
After the upgrade the performance is comparable to
the iPOD (its main competitor) in almost every area including speed,
display options, and software stability. It even corrects skips and
errors in songs that the stock Archos software does
not. -Toshi Woudenberg
Optional Accessories: Archos sells a US$50 external microphone and preamp designed to connect to the unit's LINE input.
Specs: SNR: > 90dB, headphone amp: 100mW.
User Manual: Jukebox Recorder 20